We've been busy dipping our Granny Smith's in toffee using recipes without refined sugar. Some were a bit hit and miss but with we found a winner. To add a little twist, we flavoured our crop with a dash of Fiovana Orange, Apricot & Goldenberry.
You will need:
- 100g coconut palm sugar (available from Holland & Barrett and health stores)
- 40ml water
- 20ml Fiovana Orange, Apricot & Goldenberry cordial
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp date syrup
- 3 Granny Smith apples
- 3 lollypop sticks
What to do:
1. Pierce the apples with the lolly pop sticks and place on baking paper. Set aside.
2. Mix the water and cordial together. Combine with the coconut palm sugar in a heavy-based saucepan and heat slowly. After about two minutes the mixture will start to thicken. Add the butter, date syrup and mix.
3. Turn up the heat and bring to the boil, stir continuously for two minutes. This is super important otherwise, the toffee won't harden. If you have a sugar thermometer check the mixture reaches 140C.
4. Reduce to a low heat and stir for a minute until the mixture is a maple syrup like consistency. Remove from the heat.
5. Pour the toffee mixture over each apple doing your best to avoid the sticks. (Ours got a little messy.)
6. Sprinkle with desiccated coconut.
7. They should start to set straight away, if not, then your mixture didn't boil for long enough. You can fix this by putting your apples in the freezer for about 30 minutes. Just don't leave them there for too long or you might break a tooth.